Welcome to BIS Update 2007
Welcome to to all of those attending the 20th annual Update Conference on export controls in Washington, DC. The theme of this year's Update conference is "Reaching Out to Industry, Past, Present, Future". International Trade Law News will be carrying on the tradition of blogging from Update started a few years ago by Scott Gearity's Export Control Blog, which is on hiatus.
Throughout the next few days we will be posting a summary of each of the plenary and breakout sessions from Update, so check here periodically to be kept up to date on the conference. We also encourage those attending Update to post their comments and impressions on the conference on this site as well.
Registration for attendees started early this afternoon at the Grand Hyatt. While most of the logistics and arrangements for Update are similar to previous years, BIS added a few new wrinkles this year. For example, while the main conference will begin tomorrow, BIS held some pre-Update events today, which included a "Meet & Greet" with BIS officials, an Export Management and Compliance Pavilion and an exhibit hall reception. The exhibit hall was a major change from previous Update conferences. Rather than having the exhibitors available during each of the conference's two full day sessions, the exhibitors were available today only.
An Internet cafe and meeting space is also being provided in the Bridge Rooms on the Constitution level for the first time to provide Internet access and a place to schedule one-on-one meetings or consult with colleagues. Government exhibitors will be located in this room on November 1 and 2.
Another unique feature of this year's program is that BIS asked for questions for certain sessions to submitted in advance and has provided those questions in the registration packet.
Finally, BIS published a newsletter commemorating twenty years of Update conferences that contained various reminiscences from BIS staff. One of the more unique features of the newsletter was the following Top Ten List:
You Know You Are An Update Junkie When . . .
10. You wish that Update were still held at the JW Marriott.
9. You have kept and proudly display every name badge you have received at Update.
8. You run an office pool for who will be the keynote speaker.
7. Your office is decorated with Update swag.
6. You arm wrestle with your colleagues to see who gets to attend from your company.
5. Your homepage is the BIS seminar schedule.
4. You call to register for the conference in April, when it is schedule for October.
3. You refer to the Gala as the Homecoming Dance.
2. You make flight arrangements a year in advance, and . . .
1. You are here at Update again!
Labels: BIS Update Conference