OFAC Designates Six Iranian Military Firms
In an action timed to coincide with the criminal investigation and indictment of Iranian procurement front companies announced today by the Bureau of Industry and Security and Justice Department (see previous post), the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today added to the List of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN List) six Iranian military firms that are owned or controlled by entities previously designated for their roles in Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
The companies designated by OFAC are:
- Iran Electronics Industries (IEI) - produces military products including electro-optics and lasers, communication equipment, telecommunication security equipment, electronic warfare equipment, new and refurbished radar tubes, and missile launchers. IEI manufactures military tactical communication systems and also electronic field telephones and switchboards. IEI also manufactures night vision systems and laser range finders in addition to binoculars and periscopes.
- Shiraz Electronics Industries - Engaged in the production of various electronics equipment for the Iranian military, including radars, microwave electron vacuum tubes, naval electronics, avionics and control systems, training simulators, missile guidance technology, and electronic test equipment.
- Iran Communications Industries (ICI) - Iran's leading manufacturer of military and civilian communication equipment and systems. ICI offers more than seventy-five products, including tactical communications and encryption systems that meet a wide range of the Iranian military's requirements.
- Iran Aircraft Manufacturing Industrial Company (HESA) - Is owned or controlled by MODAFL, and also because it has provided support to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). HESA utilizes its own facilities for the inspection, maintenance, repair overhaul research, development, and manufacture of military and civilian aircraft and related military logistic systems. HESA conducts research on, development of, production of, and flight operations for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in Iran.
- Farasakht Industries - Subsidiary of HESA that specializes in the manufacturing of various aerospace tools and equipment.
- Armament Industries Group - Owned or controlled by and acts on behalf of Iran's Defense Industries Organization (DIO). Armament Industries Group is directly subordinate to DIO and is known to manufacture arms such as gun howitzers, multiple rocket launchers, sniper rifles and a variety of machine guns.